Friday, January 30, 2009

Another One to Add to the List

Okay - so a couple of weeks ago I sat down and composed a rather witty entry (of course) and then after I previewed it, hit the "back" key to add some more and *POOF* no more entry. I was so disgusted I logged off and went to bed. However! I am now back and ready to blog once more!

So! I had an experince yesterday that will now be added to my Top 10 Embarrassing Moments of All Time. It was one of those things that one half of your brain sees happening in slow motion and tries with all it's might to stop you - only to find that the side controlling your mouth and/or actions plunges right on through.

Being the girly girl that I am, I am very against that extra hair that can be so unbecoming and lets face it, downright gross. But I absolutely hate to shave my legs and underarms since I can't seem to be able to handle a reazor without knicking myelf. I started visitng my local getaway (a.k.a. Serenity Day Spa) to help with the removal of said hair. That's right - I'm talking about waxing. So as I am sitting at work yesterday, it occurs to me that I need to make an appointment for said procedure. I pick-up my phone, dial the number and as it is ringing who should walk in and over to my desk but Jeff the Probation Officer.

Now Jeff is what I would categorize as "Man's Man" No - you know,the traditional big, burly, built-like-a-linebacker guy;and let's face it, if I weren't married,I would totally be tempted to seriously flirt with him. So just as he approaches my desk, and I'm thinking "Hang the phone up and call later" that sweet voice comes on the line, "Serentiy Day Spa, Dani speaking." Again, my brain desperately tries to fight it's way through and send the message, hang up and call back - but no . . . I keep plodding along. (I think you can all see where this is going) I cheerfully say, "Hey this is Jaeme," hoping that my Esthstetician will take the lead and somehow use a psychic ability to tap into my brain and know what I'm calling for. But, since it's me we're talking about - that of course did not happen. Instead, it went something like this. . .

Jaeme: "I was wondering if you had an opening tomorrow after 5:00?"

Dani "Well, no, what are we doing?"

Now, please note, I casually glance over at the waiting p.o.- he's moved back from my desk and is leaning againt the cabinets across the aisle looking in a different direction.

Jaeme: (speaking in nearly a whisper) "Wax"

Dani: "How about during your lunch hour?"

Jaeme: (back to sounding peppy and cheerful) "Sounds great, I'll see you then."

I hang up the phone and turn my attention to the big, burly guy who is now looking directly at me.

Jaeme: Thinking in head "Oh crap - please don't let him have. . .

Jeff: Ouch! That just sounds painful.

Jaeme: heard me." Feeling face getting warm - okay make that hot - great now just thinking about it I know I'm blushing even more now. Quick! Say something clever - some sort of witty sarcastic comeback- Think! Draw on your inner Bina!

"Wus."

Jeff: "Hey, I've seen 40 Year Old Virgin, I know what it's like."

Jaeme: "For heaven's sake I'm not having my chest waxed."

Jaeme: To self in head "Now I have managed to divert the conversation away from my phone call, but now we're talking about my chest.

Awkward - make that beyond awkward - moment.


Thank heavens the subject got changed quickly. I don't even remember if it was me or him that did so, but I'm just glad it happened. I wanted to crawl under my desk. Could it have been worse? Sure and maybe you think that it's not really all that bad - which is great if you do - you can reassure me that it wasn't.

2 comments:

Emilee said...

I love it Jaeme!!! I know exactly what you're talking about - I hate inadvertantly making conversations more awkward & embarassing, which I seem to do frequently. You're not alone sister.

BTW - I missed you yesterday, but I hope your little escapade was awesome. ttyl.

DeAna said...

Totally picturing it in my head. Laughing. Harder. Oh, my stomach hurts...
awwwwwwwwwwwww...too funny! Which is more painful, waxing, or that experience?
Happy Valentines!